Monday, March 06, 2006

early dreams and dreams of the dead

One of the first dreams that I vividly remember to this day was from aged 5 or 6. It had been my birthday party and 7 or 8 of my friends had come to the house for a tea party. We had all been stunned and time seemed to stand still for a moment, the next thing we had been caught by a witch who was very scary looking and we were taken to a cave which had no exits. The witch had a long green nose on a wrinkly face, a long black hooded gown and long green fingers with long black claws. her hands were very ugly and large. The feeling was very claustrophobic and it was cold, dark and clammy. we were wearing summer clothes, shorts and t-shirts and it was cold on the floor. I felt particularly sad as it had been my party and in some way was my fault. We stayed there all night and at one point we got split up, some of the more sensitive children were very upset and cried like babies. Others were just sad and glum and sat quietly. It felt like we were tied up without any actual bonds. we were eventually let go or perhaps we escaped through a hole that you couldn't see at first while the witch wasn't looking
we were now standing in the park on the grass opposite the house I lived in, it was early in the morning and a light mist was still hanging over the grass. everyone was dazed and confused but relieved to be free. the end.

Another dream I recall vividly was a set of dreams from aged 8 or 9. The dreams unfolded over a week and each night I would return to the same dream with new elements revealed. It was like a television screen was projected on my bedroom wall and from a very high up viewpoint I could see a brown and white cow tied down to the ground on its side in a field. It was bright and sunny and the cow or more like a bull was covered with very small figures climbing all over it.

It reminded me of the scene in Gulliver’s travels and I couldn’t clearly see what they were doing.

The following night I returned to the dream and got a closer view. The tiny figures were performing all sorts of tests on the animal and they were wearing white all in one suits.

This went on for 5 or six nights, each night returning to the same view only closer and with a gradual understanding of what was actually happening what it meant and why. I cannot recall what the further meaning of the cow experiments revealed over the series of dreams but I remember that the memories kind of faded away quite quickly leaving me with a puzzled feeling about a) how a series of dreams can interrelate over successive nights and b) what this abstract set of unfolding dreams was actually all about.


This is not quite a normal dream memory but a recollection of a kind of dream triggered by reading something in a book about a yard and a bright light. I am in the back yard of our house. It is night-time very late and very quiet. I am about 7 or 8. I have crept outside in my pyjamas with shoes and socks on. There is a very bright light illuminating the yard like sunshine except very white. I cannot see the source of the light when I look up as the light is so bright. I notice a small white figure in a shiny silver foil suit climbing over the wall where the climbing plants reach to the top of the wall. The wall is about 6 or 7 feet high. I am standing outside the back door and I say ‘get down from there’ but he is already climbing down anyway, like a cat with hardly any weight in his body, not disturbing the leaves as he goes. He has little booties on like the kind toddlers wear which seems funny, almost like slippers. He walks across the yard towards the back of the house opposite to where I am standing, ignoring me and I am at once fascinated by the sight of him and indignant that I am ignored. Next thing we are face to face at the back door and he looks at me with large black eyes. I can’t remember anything other than he seems to move from one place to the next without really moving. Everything seems still like time has stopped for a moment. i eventually return inside as i am cold and suddenly aware that i will be in trouble if i am caught outside in the middle of the night.

Dreams of the dead and haunting

A recurring theme in my dreams and continue to this day are of dead people that I knew. Alice was the mother of my stepfather and when she died without really being aware of it she came straight back to the house where she lived with my mum and step dad. They had built her a granny flat and she lived in her little bit of the house sharing the large kitchen with the family. As she got older Alice and my mum progressively got on worse. A day or two after she died in a care home a mile or so away from the house, my mums next door neighbour saw her walking up the cul-de-sac through the living room window before realising that she had died, looked back and she had gone. She was quite upset and spooked about it, but later found it amusing. Being interested in paranormal phenomena I thought she had failed to realise her own death. Nobody told her she had advanced cancer, she was 84 and only had a little time left so the doctors made her comfortable with painkillers and she slipped away quietly a few weeks after she was admitted to the care home. I also thought that she was not only unaware of her death but unhappy to be ignored. (as i think she would have perceived it)

My mums house was disturbed for a long while and reports from all members of the family of doors banging in the middle of the night, murmuring voices and a general feeling of angst overhung the house. The flat was re-integrated and her lving room became the family dining room, her bedroom became my mums work room. soon after in the dining room, the radio came on at full volume whilst my mum and stepdad were having dinner, it wasn’t plugged into the socket. That experience made my skeptical step dad raise an eyebrow. Another time when my mum had just moved one of her expensive machines from a shelf thinking that it was unsafe being so high up, the shelf literally unplugged itself from it's rawplugs and threw everything including the shelf with screws attached on the floor. You could easily say that shelf had been disturbed and fell off, but you would have to see how deeply screwed they were to a solid wall. My own experience was interesting. It was my step dads 50th birthday and I was in the front room of the house talking to the next door neighbour, a senior police officer. A beatles tune like 'love me do' or something was playing on the stereo at which point a glass walked 5-6 inches across the sideboard pushing a pile of records (singles) including the glass to the floor. We both observed this and looking at each other I said to him ‘it’s Alice’! he, half-drunk laughed and couldn’t help but agree.

Later on in the evening I walked into the dining room and exactly where Alice’s chair would have been located a broken glass lay smashed in the middle of the carpet. I thought Alice again and quickly showed my brother before clearing it up. It couldn’t have fell from anywhere near as it was the middle of the room and my mums friends were very civilised people. I couldn’t imagine any of these middle aged people just dropping a glass on the carpet watching it smash into pieces and walking away!

there were many other happenings over the year. I did not enjoy staying in the house during that time. mumblings were heard through the wall where Alice lived and it sounded just like her wittering annoyedly to herself. the sounds almost came from within the wall itself.

doors would be heard opening and closing in the middle of the night. doors would be heard opening in a room only for the person to look up and see the door tightly closed.

Eventually Alice did quiet down and leave the house, it returned to its normal peaceful atmosphere but not until a year or so later, when my own grandmother died. I got the feeling that my grandma had visited the house shortly after her own death and took Alice away with her! I had a dream that my Grandma visited the house one morning after she died and we talked about ufos. she told me that we'd never really know the truth about ufos until we died too so shouldnt really worry about it too much. Ever since that particular dream which i remember vividly, i suspected there was some kind of spiritual dimension to the phenomena we call aliens. anyway, she had a young girl with her in a black dress who seemed to act as some kind of conduit. i never saw this girl in real life before but when i quizzed grandma in the dream about who she was, she replied it's difficult to get through, she helps me.

I had 3 dreams of Alice during that year. The first dream, I was sitting in the living room and Alice walked in smiling as if alive as could be. I was horrified and tried to call my mum. No words would come out. I regained my composure and said to her, ‘but you’re dead’ she looked at me like it didn’t matter and went to sit in the corner at the end of the table where she usually would have sat. She was chuckling as though she found my response to her amusing. There was no malevolence, just a mischievous twinkle in her eye. the second dream was similar except i no longer found her presence disturbing but i remember very closely noticing that there was absolutely no difference with a dead person to a living one. ( in a dream these kind of odd observations seem perfectly rational)

The third dream was more interesting. I was at my dad’s house where I lived. The dream started early in the morning, it was still dark outside. A stone at my window awoke me (in the dream). it was a dream where you are dreaming about being in the place that you actually are. A false awakening where you think you wake up but when the dream ends and you do wake up it's disconcerting. I thought it unusually early for my friend Neil to call for me, (he usually used this method to contact me instead of ringing the doorbell). I got out of bed (again this still in the dream) and looked out of the window. There was Alice standing there at the gate shaking her walking stick. I was surprised and a little scared. She was angry and communicated somehow that I needed to get my stomach sorted out soon or I would end up like her, pointing to her own abdomen. I was puzzled and got back into bed. I got up later and wondered.

I had been to the doctor a few times with what I thought was a grumbling appendix. The doctor had prescribed anti-spasmodic medication which seemed to have little effect. A few months later in the summer months I suddenly became very ill and could not keep any food or liquids down. After a few days of bedridden agony and fever I called the doctor who gave me some mediaction. things got worse and i was dehydrating so i asked my dad to drive me to the hospital where i was admitted and stayed for a month on a ‘nil by mouth’ regime fighting a raging gut infection. They eventually opened me up when i was in sufficiently good health and took out my appendix. A timely warning from the other side i thought. i made a good recovery and went back to college in the autumn.

more dreams of the dead people to be continued soon...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home